FAQ - Overseas

FAQ : 

What is the cost of attendance?

Please ask the Flagship coordinator at your university for more information about the cost of attendance.

Is financial aid available?

The Language Flagship provides support for students enrolled in domestic Flagship institutions to help them participate in the Overseas Flagship programs. Interested students should contact their domestic Flagship program for additional information.

Other Student Support Options -
Boren Scholarships
Freeman Asia Scholarship
Benjamin Gilman Scholarship

Where can I intern?

Chinese Overseas Flagship participants may intern in Beijing, Nanjing, Shanghai, or Shenzhen.

May I intern in Hong Kong, Macau, or Taiwan?

No, participants may only intern in mainland China.

Does the Nanjing Center place participants at internships?

No. Participants apply for their own internships and arrange for interviews. However, internship staff can assist by providing resources and helping participants connect with former and existing internship providers.

May I intern with a U.S. consulate or embassy?

No. Participants may not intern with any governmental organization.

Do I need to be a U.S. citizen to apply?

You must have U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent residency to apply. However, you cannot be a Chinese citizen. You can apply if you are a U.S. permanent resident with Indonesian citizenship, for example.

How do I find housing?

Participants find housing through a variety of methods, including staff recommendations, alumni recommendations, fee-based housing brokers, Chinese websites, and AirBnB.

Do I get academic credit for participating in the internship semester?

Participants who successfully complete the Chinese Overseas Flagship program will receive an internship verification letter issued by Nanjing University and a transcript from Bryn Mawr College. It is the participant's responsibility to arrange for credit transfer.

How large is the Overseas Flagship group?

The size of the average Chinese Overseas Flagship fall cohort for the Nanjing Center is 45 participants. The size of the average Chinese Overseas Flagship spring cohort is 15 participants.

Do I need to participate in the direct enrollment semester first or may I begin with the internship semester?

To qualify for the internship semester, participants must participate in the direct enrollment semester at Nanjing University and receive an overall positive recommendation from the center director and instructors.

How may I find more information about the direct enrollment semester?

Please visit http://overseaschineseflagship.byu.edu for more information.

May I receive a stipend from my internship?

No, participants may not receive a stipend from their internship providers because students are in China on X-1 study visas rather than on work visas. Receiving payment for internship work will jeopardize participants' standing in the program and the program's continued collaborations with Nanjing University.